|The Dallas Morning News
Check List for Clean Up
After finding black mold in a custodian's closet last week, the city of
Frisco has decided to check all its occupied municipal buildings for the potentially toxic
"We're trying to be proactive and do the right thing and make sure that we're
providing as safe a workplace as possible for our employees," Jason Gray, assistant
to the city manager, said Wednesday.
Officials are in the process of hiring a consultant to do the testing.
They will inspect the largest city-owned buildings first, including the Frisco Municipal
Complex, central fire station, Frisco Senior Adult Center and Superdrome.
View a list
of all our house mold removal products
Dealing with black mold
Black mold grows on fibrous materials in damp areas.
"Small amounts of black mold are really fairly common problems that homeowners deal
with," Ms. Soper said. First, they should determine why the mold occurs, she said.
For instance, if the cause is a water leak or moisture problem, that should be addressed.
"Our viewpoint is that any kind of mold can potentially cause health problems for
some people, so it all should be treated with the same level of concern."
Above excerpt from the Dallas
CHECKLIST FOR MOLD REMEDIATION
evaluate moisture and mold problems
- Assess size of moldy area (square feet)
- Consider the possibility of hidden mold
- Clean up small mold problems and fix moisture
problems before they become large problems
- Select remediation manager for medium or large
size mold problem
- Investigate areas associated with occupant
- Identify source(s) or cause of water or
- Note type of water-damaged materials
(wallboard, carpet, etc.)
- Check inside air ducts and air handling unit
- Throughout process, consult qualified
professional if necessary or desired
building occupants at all stages of process,
- Designate contact person for questions and comments about
medium or large scale remediation as needed
- Adapt or modify remediation guidelines to fit your
situation; use professional judgment
- Plan to dry wet, non-moldy materials within 48 hours to
prevent mold growth
- Select cleanup methods for moldy items
- Select Personal Protection Equipment - protect remediators
- Select containment equipment - protect building occupants
- Select remediation personnel who have the experience and
training needed to implement the remediation plan and use Personal Protection Equipment
and containment as appropriate
moisture and mold problems
- Fix moisture problem, implement repair plan and/or
- Dry wet, non-moldy materials within 48 hours to prevent mold
- Clean and dry moldy materials
- Discard moldy porous items that can't be cleaned
How do ozone
generators work? Learn how